Sari la conținut
Forum Roportal
Anonymus Kline

Data "is" or "are" ?

Postări Recomandate

I've only ever used 'is'. Ive never even seen an example where 'are' is used with Data. I always like to be proved wrong though :zorro:

Read my business studies book :flowers:

It follows logically that ARE can be used only when data is conjuncted with another noun, for instance "the discs and the data are now safe" :hi:

Nope, nothing like that :flowers: ....

Partajează acest post

Link spre post
Distribuie pe alte site-uri
2. (used with a plural verb) individual facts, statistics, or items of information: These data represent the results of our analyses. Data are entered by terminal for immediate processing by the computer.

That whole sentence is really bad English. It should read " This data represents the results of our analysis. Data is entered by our terminal for immediate processing by the computer. "

It follows logically that ARE can be used only when data is conjuncted with another noun, for instance "the discs and the data are now safe

Sounds good to me :blink:

Partajează acest post

Link spre post
That whole sentence is really bad English. It should read " This data represents the results of our analysis. Data is entered by our terminal for immediate processing by the computer. "

Roo, I was defending you, why are you making a mess of things? :blink:

I copy-pasted the definitions from dictionary.com, which is quite a respectable multi-source dictionary. In this particular case, the original source is the Random House Unabridged Dictionary.

And no, it's not bad English. :o: Since what you corrected was an example of the noun being associated with a plural verb, "These data represent the results of our analyses. Data are entered by terminal for immediate processing by the computer." is correct. Read again the definitions and my comments on why choosing between a singular or plural verb for "data" depends on the context, on what you intended to express in the first place.

As for "by terminal", it's similar to saying "data points selected by mouse". One may discuss the form, but it's certainly not incorrect.

Partajează acest post

Link spre post
Vizitator
Acest topic este acum închis pentru alte răspunsuri.