Sari la conținut
Forum Roportal
Saharian

Is New Zealand a good prospect for the future ?

Evaluează acest topic

Postări Recomandate

Not all black and whitetranspix.gifJon Henleytranspix.giftranspix.giftranspix.giftranspix.gif13 November 2007 11:59transpix.gif

maori.jpg</IMG>While Maori language and culture have come to occupy a significant place in New Zealand life, many are feeling increasingly alienated. (Photograph: AP)

Henry Williams (born February 11 1782, died July 16 1867) is as good a place to start as any. A doubtless well-intentioned former navy man, Reverend Williams was a missionary who had been busy winning antipodean souls for Jesus since 1822. By February 1840, when the first lieutenant governor of what would become Britain

Partajează acest post

Link spre post
Distribuie pe alte site-uri

I dont see a lot in Romania about New Zealand (except for Rugby, as the coach of the Romanian team is a New Zealander) so I thought I would comment on this.

It was a complete fiasco and the Police never prosecuted on the terrorism charges. There were a few firearms charges.

In general race relations are very good, though I say that as a European New Zealander (or Pakeha in Maori). Most people have Maori friends and often people are Maori but look European, because of intermarriage.

Dont mix New Zealand up with Australia. They treated their native people terribly. Aborigines in Australia wer part of the Flora and Fauna Act until the 1960's! They werent even Australian citizens.

Maori people were always able to vote and were New Zealand citizens, In fact New Zealand is really the first true democracy (not Greece or the US) because in 1893 we gave women the right to vote.

I am moving to Romania in November to work as a lawyer so happy to chat.

Partajează acest post

Link spre post
I dont see a lot in Romania about New Zealand (except for Rugby, as the coach of the Romanian team is a New Zealander) so I thought I would comment on this.

It was a complete fiasco and the Police never prosecuted on the terrorism charges. There were a few firearms charges.

In general race relations are very good, though I say that as a European New Zealander (or Pakeha in Maori). Most people have Maori friends and often people are Maori but look European, because of intermarriage.

Dont mix New Zealand up with Australia. They treated their native people terribly. Aborigines in Australia wer part of the Flora and Fauna Act until the 1960's! They werent even Australian citizens.

Maori people were always able to vote and were New Zealand citizens, In fact New Zealand is really the first true democracy (not Greece or the US) because in 1893 we gave women the right to vote.

I am moving to Romania in November to work as a lawyer so happy to chat.

Thank you for the input - it does add to the light

It will be great if New Zeealand manages to find a perfect solution to this plague of our time which is the colour of our skins...

The reason that the article was of so much interest to me is - between other things - one particular movie which has shaken my serene image :

" They were once warriors " - I hope my recollection of the name is accurate - I've seen that movie and it was a shocker and an eye opener ...

Partajează acest post

Link spre post

"Once Were Warriors". Yes that is a good movie, and you will see that the guy who played the main character, Temuera Morrison, has now been in Star Wars (Jenga Fett) and a few other Hollywood films. He must have been the only actor in New Zealand who wasnt in Lord of the Rings.

However, you have to remember that although what that movie showed certainly happens in New Zealand, it would be a tiny minority. Unfortunately that minority would primarily consist of people with brown skin (either Maori or Pacific Islander). Being Pakeha (NZ European) and coming from a middle class family I have never really seen that world, though I have worked with guys on building sites and other jobs as a University student who would have seen it a lot.

If you enjoyed that movie you should read the book also called "Once Were Warriors" by Alan Duff. There is also a sequel "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted", which I think is now a movie too.

Partajează acest post

Link spre post
"Once Were Warriors". Yes that is a good movie, and you will see that the guy who played the main character, Temuera Morrison, has now been in Star Wars (Jenga Fett) and a few other Hollywood films. He must have been the only actor in New Zealand who wasnt in Lord of the Rings.

However, you have to remember that although what that movie showed certainly happens in New Zealand, it would be a tiny minority. Unfortunately that minority would primarily consist of people with brown skin (either Maori or Pacific Islander). Being Pakeha (NZ European) and coming from a middle class family I have never really seen that world, though I have worked with guys on building sites and other jobs as a University student who would have seen it a lot.

If you enjoyed that movie you should read the book also called "Once Were Warriors" by Alan Duff. There is also a sequel "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted", which I think is now a movie too.

Thanks a lot , I will certainly look into this :)

I understand perfectly what you are saying , I am a South African myself - been there , seen that, got the t-shirt ....except the "tiny minority" bit which is certainly not the case in SA :o:

Partajează acest post

Link spre post

NZ would be like another person has said a 3rd world country if the maoris run it

edit:

Took a sudden interest in NZ, particularly Wellington, having watched an FOTC interview there and thinking "that street looks rather spacious...". That may just go to show how ridiculous it can be in England nowadays when it comes to leasing property. Whenever I see videos like this I just want to emmigrate (the weather looks nicer too...) Unfortunately I fear I may not have the qualifications to meet the expectations of the "essential skills list" for migrants. But I can always dream.

Editat de FNF

Partajează acest post

Link spre post

Creează un cont sau autentifică-te pentru a adăuga comentariu

Trebuie să fi un membru pentru a putea lăsa un comentariu.

Creează un cont

Înregistrează-te pentru un nou cont în comunitatea nostră. Este simplu!

Înregistrează un nou cont

Autentificare

Ai deja un cont? Autentifică-te aici.

Autentifică-te acum