Sari la conținut
Forum Roportal
@anyry

In defense of psychoanalysis

Postări Recomandate

IN DEFENSE OF PSYCHOANALYSIS

I attempt to defend psychoanalysis against some accusations which have often been brought to it.

I am convinced of its validity as a science of the human psyche, of its truth regarding the explanation of human nature, of its utility in understanding the causes of human behaviour and gaining insight into ourselves. Especially Sigmund Freud is still not outdated - and shall never be - due to the universality of the workings of the human psyche.

Psychoanalysis regards man as an individual. There are no such things as solutions to be applied to all men as a template in order to cure any patient. Psychoanalytic therapy aims at the maturisation of the individual, the unblocking of psychical development, the consolidation and autonomization of the ego. Independence of thought, initiative - these are features that portray psychical maturity.

In order to engage in a successful analysis, there has to be a collaboration between analyst and analysand. No psychoanalyst conducts the analysis without the analysand's consent. The analysand is tested for the ability to develop the therapeutic alliance - the ability to accept the effort, pain and internal conflict.

Psychoanalysis does not simply attempt to change a patient's lifestyle. The effect would not last for too long, or the patient may become dependent on the psychoanalyst. It deals with the causes of the patient's behaviour and makes the patient aware of them and able for self-observation.

Does psychoanalysis denigrate human nature, by revealing the dark side of man (those wishes that can be judged as monstruous by moral conscience)? Psychoanalysis does reveal man's shadow, but it does not deny his dimension of light. Psychoanalysis does not celebrate the obscure forces in the human psyche, it does not recommend that these should be lived. Making unconscious wishes become conscious creates the premises for the sublimation of the corresponding energy for using this energy for highly valued social and cultural purposes.

Unacceptance of psychoanalysis comes - in my opinion - from lack of understanding of it, or from unacceptance of the truth it says about ourselves. Psychoanalysis does not judge or condemn people by labelling them. It is only people who are under this impression because they find it hard to accept who they are or because they have not yet come to truly know themselves.

Partajează acest post

Link spre post
Distribuie pe alte site-uri

I would like to know what kind of accusations have been brought to psychoanalysis?

I, for one, agree that psychoanalysis has lots of benefits.

Editat de Noor-al-Haya

Partajează acest post

Link spre post
Distribuie pe alte site-uri
Vizitator
Acest topic este acum închis pentru alte răspunsuri.