Forum Roportal
Moonbeam28

Looking for Romanian singer, 1930s, Zeno Costa/Coste

First, I want to apologize but I don't speak Romanian so I have to write in English. Also, I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I don't know where else to look.

I'm looking for a Romanian singer named Zeno Coste (he used Costa as an alias). He was born on May 30, 1907 in Ciacova. During the 1930s he worked as a singer in Berlin and appeared in various movies and was a member of two successful vocal ensembles of the time. In 1935, he  married Helene Anna Kryszewska.

He left Berlin sometime in the late 30s/early 40s and no one knows what became of him. I've tried the usual sites, ancestry and myheritage, but other than the marriage certificate, I haven't found anything. Since I don't speak Romanian, any research in Romania is difficult for me. So if anyone has any idea on where I could look or who I could ask, I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks!

Presumably he returned to Romania in 1941 or 1942. So far nothing is known about his further fate. He just disappeared. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Blues said:

Presumably he returned to Romania in 1941 or 1942. So far nothing is known about his further fate. He just disappeared. 

Yes, that's the only information I found so far about his life after 1940.

I was hoping to find him through his wife, but nothing about her, either.

I found out that Zeno Coste was probably/possibly the brother of Romanian diplomat Brutus Coste. They were both born in Ciacova, three years apart, and I found Zeno's name in a piece of Brutus'  correspondence. 

This NYT obituary says that Brutus Coste was survived by a brother and sister in Romania: https://www.nytimes.com/1984/09/05/obituaries/brutus-coste.html